Friday, January 15, 2010

We are so Connected

Just a few days back I was thinking as to how much connected are we. Orkut or Facebook was not there 5-6 years back. Even phone call rates were so high. We rarely used to make out of station calls. We rarely used to make regular communications via emails. We had never heard of anything called Social Networking. Now many people claim Social Networking to be their hobby.
For me, at least, these tools of networking have helped a lot. Now I can make occasional pleasantries with my cousins. Even though I do not attend their weddings, I can see their marriage pictures. I have got connected with lots of my first cousins with whom I have last met more than a decade back.
I also make calls, send SMSes to my friends, ping them on Facebook. These have become dirt cheap. Calls and SMSes are now at the rate of paisas. Internet rates have also decreased a lot with much higher speed.
The latest leap in connectivity is the accessing of internet from phone.
I can now update my Facebook status while sending a local SMS. Even reply to Facebook's messages with SMS. If I tweet then it will get updated on Facebook. Even LinkedIn's statuses go to Twitter and Facebook. While reading any article I can update my Facebook, Twitter etc account direct from the news-site.
I wonder 2-3 years down the line what would be the face of the 'Connectivity'.

No comments: