Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dhobi Ghat - Reminiscences of My Life

Yesterday I saw Dhobi Ghat & to be very honest I did not like it very much. Actually I was expecting more from an Aamir Khan's movie. Anyways I found many interesting things in the movie which are somehow related to me.
I will at first introduce the characters of the movie with a few information which I searched about them on the net.


Monica Dogra: A real nice face. Her name in the movie is Shai & I never in the movie found her 'shy' :P


The video below is the complete introduction of Monica Dogra and her character Shai.





Prateek Babbar: He is the son of late Smita Patil (actress) and Raj Babbar. If you people do not know either Smita Patil & Raj Babbar then I will ask you to watch the famous song...






Prateek Babbar has played Munna from Bhagalpur, Bihar. Though he has played an illiterate in the movie, he once uttered "I mean..." hahaha while talking to 'Shai'.
And again if you people till now have not recalled where you have seen him before them I will tell you to go and watch "Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na" again. He had played the role of Genelia's brother in that movie.
Here is his video introduction...




Other than Aamir Khan & the above mentioned two characters, there was Kriti Malhotra who played a significant role in the movie. Though she was shown through her videos in the movie, her role has a strong effect.
Kriti was part of the first edition of MTV Roadies. She plays a married Muslim woman, Yasmin.








Dhobi Ghat - Reminiscences of My Life...


The character of Munna somewhat reminds me of a childhood friend of mine who has always wanted to be a model, though he ended up becoming a software professional and is now studying management in Sydney. He used to have a strict diet routine. He still runs to keep his body in shape. He had his portfolio made to get a few modelling offers. However he did not got even a chaddi-banyan's assignment :D He too, like Munna, had many one-sided (from his side) girl-friends :P
He is a very nice friend of mine, my "langotiya yaar".


The character of 'Shai' reminds me of another "langotiya yaar" of mine. This friend is a male, unlike 'Shai :(
I have always thought of him a very creative, very unlike us. He is an avid photographer. He takes such beautiful snaps that I really believe sometimes that he fakes. But he never. He is truly talented. He was a national level badminton player during the school days. He was a karate champ too, some blue-green-orange belt holder. Sometime later I will post his numerous photo albums in my post (with his permission as he mentions 'copyright' in all his pics :D).


If you have seen the movie then you would have noticed that Aamir uses a single coffee mug every time. That takes me back to my own coffee mug that I have been using for the last 8 years.


  


My college friends would easily recall this cup :P


When in the movie, Munna & Shai roams around in the bustling Mohammed Ali Road during Ramzan, it reminds me of my only 'celebrated' Eid in Bangalore. On that Eid night, I roamed through the crowded streets of Shivaji Nagar. It was very similar to the street shown in the movie. The streets were full of people buying, bargaining for Sawai, Ittr (perfume), Kurta, Chudee (bangles) and other things. I really savored that night.


In this movie, Munna kills rat to earn money. This too reminds me of an incident, actually two. First, there was a big rat in our last home and we had a difficult time with it. It used to damage each and everything. It used to eat openly kept tomatoes and other vegetables. It used to tear through our clothes and bags too. Then one day we planned to eliminate it and it was I who did the act :D I killed it with the help of our cricket bat. It was an act of vengeance!! [Animal Rights people please keep away from it. It was our personal matter.]
The second incident that I recalled had happened during my college days. I used to get scared, and still, of spiders. We were then studying in Kerala and were staying in a forest-kind-of place. We used to frequently come across snakes, weird insects & irritating 'jhadi' (bushes). That day I saw a very very big spider near to the dining table. I was very frightened. Then as usual, I called Dada, my roomie. He was a very daring-baaz person. He killed that bloody insect with his slipper in 1 shot!! Wow...the stain on the wall was there was for ages.


Prateek Babbar 'Munna' as a character reminds me of Anurag Sinha of "Black & White" film. I suppose these two actors, along with Imaad Shah of "Dil Dosti Etc", are very talented and are the future of 'acting' in India.


.................
You can find nice Dhobi Ghat posters / pics here...


Another nice review here...



3 comments:

Satya said...

No tweeter button, share button!

Unknown said...

Thanks :)
I just added them.

Pallavi Srivastava said...

Hey Shayan...well written and really very interesting..m glad we'd get another place to listen to your many "dastaans" of your numerous friends, including some of mine :P :D. post them often..ofcourse names withheld :D. -Pallavi