Sunday, February 06, 2011

Another Rags-to-Riches Story from Bihar

My home in Patna is near to the Patna Golf Club and therefore I have some interest in the golf players from Bihar. Once I was travelling in AC 2-tier from Patna to Bangalore, (That was my 1st experience in AC 2-tier. :P) I saw a gentleman reading 'Golf Digest' - a popular Golf magazine in India. I had always had this notion that only big shots travel by AC 2-tier & therefore I started to think that that guy might be some famous golfer. Actually he turned out to be an army personnel who used to play Golf. I wanted to know more from him about Golf in Bihar and thus I started the conversation with him. I started with the little knowledge that I had about the players from Bihar which included the name of Ashok Kumar. And I was pleasantly surprised that this army man had actually played along with Ashok Kumar.
Ashok Kumar (Wikipedia) was born into a poor family in Bihar that struggled to make ends meet. So he was sent to Delhi to earn his living. He then from being a helper at the Jaipur Polo Club, finally rose to the No. 3 among Indian Golf Players.
“I was back to square one. I then went away to help a lorry owner who was transporting sand. I remember the days when I had to pay Rs. 5 to hire a blanket during winter and sleep in Connaught Place,” recalled Ashok.
Please read a complete account on him in this article in the Hindu newspaper published on May. 06, 2010:
                                              Happy with ‘God's gift through golf'

There are many other similar Rags-to-Riches stories in India...

4 comments:

Satya said...

Are not you using a tweet button/ or share button of any kind! Is it for any reason.
http://twitter.com/about/resources/tweetbutton

Satya said...

ok. it is there on top. I searched on bottom.

Sharma, Nishit said...

there are people like him who hv unexplored talent in them...when u meet such people without intention of meeting them(i mean randomly) u feel surprised

Unknown said...

@Satya I had added the Tweet button after u pointed it out the last time
@Nishit Yes that is true :)